Friday, November 12, 2010

Thought's on Jealousy

At the gym yesterday I was finishing up an intense workout.  As I hoped on a treadmill to walk and bring my heart rate down I saw the cutest little pregnant girl (probably about my age). She was talking on her phone and briskly walking. No doubt as her teeny little pregnant belly grows into a giant baby house she’ll lose her ability to multi-task in this fashion.

My point is that there are pregnant women everywhere. This may seem like a simple and obvious observation, so hang with me as I go a little deeper into my thought.

It seems that not a month goes by that I don’t see a Facebook friend’s happy pregnancy announcement; often a little too early, I’m afraid. A nugget of wisdom for you: it’s always prudent to refrain from sharing the good news until the first trimester is over and the risk of miscarriage is lower. But, I digress…
It often feels like everyone is pregnant; except me, of course.

I feel it’s important for me to say this: I am not jealous. I’ve known childless women who would feel great emotional pain whenever someone close to them would become pregnant. Some of these ladies avoid situations where they will be around mothers with babies. They are miserable on Mothers Day rather than celebrating their own mother or spiritual mothers. How sad! I won’t allow myself to go to that kind of dark place. It could be easy to go there, so I always do what I need to do to manage my emotions rather than letting my emotions control my life.

Jealously means wanting (coveting) something that someone else has. It also means envying someone else’s happiness because you are miserable. I am not harmed by someone else’s happiness. I will not covet another’s blessing.

None of my friends ever need to feel bad for me or feel guilty when they tell me that they’re going to have a baby. I am not jealous.

No comments: