Monday, November 8, 2010

Packing for the Journey

As I said in my first entry, I love adoption. Some people don’t understand it. I’m so thankful I was exposed to adoption growing up.
When I was probably 11 years old my Aunt Sheila and Uncle Charlie adopted their son. It was a private adoption, I believe. If I remember correctly a friend of a friend of a family member was pregnant and wanted to give the baby up for adoption. She was referred to my aunt and uncle who had no children. The baby was born and Sheila, my mom, my Aunt Kathy and her daughter, and I went to the hospital. I don’t know what we were expecting to do there; maybe my aunt would sign paperwork? I don’t know. Anyhow, at the hospital they had us wait in an empty room. My mom and aunts were just chatting and waiting. All of a sudden a nurse wheeled in a hospital crib with a newborn baby lying inside. We were all caught off guard. Everyone gasped. Instantly my aunt burst into tears and kept saying “My baby! My baby!” as she scooped him up and held him for the first time. My mom and Aunt Kathy were bawling of course. It was the most beautiful thing I’ve ever witnessed.
That same year I saw a news special on TV about the epidemic of orphaned baby girls in China. They explained how China’s 1 child policy meant that baby girls were being aborted or killed at birth. Many who were allowed to live were abandoned. These babies were put in overcrowded orphanages. They showed babies tied up to potty chairs to save on diapers. They were left there for hours and hours every day. I went to my room and cried and prayed that one day God would let me have one of those babies. I’ve been obsessed with Chinese adoption ever since.
As a teenager I was very influenced by my youth pastor and his wife. They were unable to have children but had a girl and a boy through domestic adoption. I loved those kids. Mia called me “Dots” because of my freckles. J I remember the day they adopted their son, Noah. I was staying at a friend’s house with several other girls. We were so excited when we got the call from PM that Noah had arrived. PM and D often talked about adoption and what a great thing it is. They always reminded us that we are ALL adopted into God’s family. I remember talking to D about my desire to adopt and she was so encouraging.
God prepared me for this journey. Now it’s time to live it.

No comments: